Saturday, September 10, 2011

Don't be afraid to ask for help

Do you ever wonder why everyone around you seems happy, motivated, social?  And you can't relate to this.  That was the same for me.  For a long time I have had ADD, but was too stubborn to admit it.  I always made good grades and recently was accepted into Vet school.  As a result of succeeding, no one ever questioned my mental state.  I also have panic attacks from time to time.  Nothing severe, just situations where I feel like there is nothing I can do or any way to resolve it.  These have been more frequent and intense since a recent breakup.  So, after some urging from friends, I bit the bullet and scheduled an appointment with a psychiatrist.  I'll be honest, I was nervous and uncomfortable about the whole situation.  Anyway,  I went and enjoyed it.  It is nice to have an unbiased person who knows nothing about your situations to spill your guts to.  At the end, she told me that it was pretty clear what I had and was prescribed medication for it.  Since the talks and taking my medication, I feel like a new person.  I feel like what I used to observe other people feeling like. I still have those rough times, but I feel equipped to handle them.  Anyway, if you are going through things things in your life that you feel like you just cannot handle,  don't be afraid to reach out.  It doesn't have to be a doctor, maybe just someone that you can be honest with. Be honest with yourself and be open to change.

2 comments: