Friday, September 30, 2011

Well, Who Are You?

Another exercise in self improvement I have been putting some serious thought into.  So, I will pose the question to you, "If you were to meet yourself and spend extensive time with yourself, would you like you?"  I thought about this for a while last night.  I came to the conclusion that I would not like hanging out with myself as much as I should.  Obviously, we would relate on similar interests, but as far as personality and chemistry go, not so much.  I used to have a much clearer idea as to who I was and where my life was headed.  I was more social and optimistic.  This resulted in more friends, more fun, and peace of mind.  So, now I am going to change those things about myself that I am not happy about.  First off, Im going to be more positive about the things I can't change.  I am going to accept what comes and find the good in it.  I'm going to let things go more easily as well.  I tend to have a bad temper sometimes.  Instead of getting angry with others, I'm going to put myself in their shoes and attempt to understand their motives or intentions.  Now, comes the tough one.  I started smoking when I was 15.  I am now 27 and have kept the terrible habit.  Im going to attempt to quit or atleast slow down.  I want to be healthier.  Finally, I want to slow down on the drinking.  Im not over the top or belligerent.  I don't ever get really drunk or black out.  But, I know I would feel better if I toned it down a little.  In highschool I leaned towards more natural means to wind down.  I might switch back to that. It made me think as opposed to drinking which just numbs my mind or makes me tired. 
Anyway, I hope you think about the question too.  Its interesting to analyze yourself as much as you analyze others.

5 comments:

  1. Very good question to ask buddy, I suppose it's one we all have to ask ourselves sometimes and the answer never pleases me. I know I would be disgusted in myself if I ever met me. I know for a fact I wouldn't like me if I met him at all, nor would I like any of my family either if I wasn't related to them. It's weird how things turn out.

    Also maybe you should tone down on drinking. I'm considering it so I can understand your motives for feeling the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the response man. I have been drinking about 2 to 3 beers a night lately. I just don't want to become dependent on it. For the first time in as long as i can remember, my schedule is easy and relaxed. So, I've been indulging more than I should. I'll let you know how the cut back treats me. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. I feel that way too sometimes. I wonder who would win.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd probably fight myself over the computer

    ReplyDelete
  5. The real problem for me would be when modern warfare 3 comes out. The brawls over the big screen would be vicious.

    ReplyDelete